HASSELL is an international design practice with 14 studios in Australia, China, South East Asia and the United Kingdom that combine expertise in architecture, interior design, landscape architecture and planning with integrated sustainability and urban design capabilities. While Populous is a group of innovators, groundbreakers and visionaries Expertise in architecture, master planning and urban design, event design and planning, brand activation and sustainability. Recently these two big architecture firms achieved such a great achievement by winning an international design competition for the design of Sydney’s new integrated convention, exhibition and entertainment precinct at Darling Harbor, for their epic collaboration. And the project is due for completion in 2016.
HASSELL + Populous are design consultants to Destination Sydney consortium, which has been selected by the New South Wales Government as preferred developer and contractor of the AUD $1 billion (USD $1.055) facility. The consortium comprises developer Lend Lease, its infrastructure development business Capella Capital, leading venue managers and operators AEG Ogden, and Spotless, which will deliver Facility Management Services.
Based on their proposal design, The precinct will include:
1. A convention facility capable of holding three separate concurrent events of up to 2,500 delegates
2. Total exhibition capacity of 40,000 square meters
3. An external event deck of 5,000 square meters featuring spectacular city views
4. A plenary hall which can be converted to an entertainment theater with a seated capacity of 8,000
5. A grand ballroom with banqueting space for up to 2,000
News/Image Source: bustler.net